[Qgis-user] Qgis-user Digest, Vol 102, Issue 34

Laura O'Grady laura at lauraogrady.ca
Wed Aug 20 12:21:21 PDT 2014

Hi Andre,

I just saw your response now. Perhaps my installation is not corrupt after
all and it is the plug-in.

After Damien's suggestion failed I went back to John Harrop's instructions,
specifically this part of step 2, " That should then bring up a list of five
data types you can download.  They are divided by data type, not content.
For example, if you now select the "points" and "lines" items and then press
OK you will get generically named "lines' and "points" layers in your
project."  I used the old toronto.osm.db file I had created using version
2.2. By doing this I was at least able to pull up the specific point I had
originally queried from the tag list.  But it is now rendered on the entire
OSM layer (but properly situated within Toronto) as the tiles did not
download correctly.

I think your suggestion would likely solve the problem but I'm not sure if I
want to repeat those steps every time I'm downloading tiles from OSM. I'm in
the process of reverting back to QGIS version 2.2 as it worked fine before.

Thanks.

Laura

Am 19.08.2014 19:46, schrieb Laura O'Grady:

> When I attempted to re-create this process in 2.4 using the instructions
> posted here by John I was able to load Open Street Map as the basemap I
> could not download the data. I tried loading it from the canvas (link to
> screen dump with error):
>

> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10032664/error%20map%20canvas.png

It looks like QGIS is attempting to download data in a bbox of mercator
projected coordinates, while the overpass API is expecting WGS84 degrees.

This is surely a bug of the OSM plugin.

Maybe the plugin uses the project CRS as default for the bbox coordinates.

This might work:
- Create a polygon layer in WGS84 drawing a bbox polygon of the area of
your interest with EPSG:3857 as project CRS and Openlayers background

- Delete the Openlayers background layer, change project CRS to
EPSG:4326 and zoom to the extent of your polygon

- Download the OSM data

- Switch project CRS back to EPSG:3857, and load the Openlayers background.

HTH,
Andr? Joost