[Qgis-user] point sampling tool is there anyway to speed it up and keep it going

Michael.Dodd Michael.Dodd at open.ac.uk
Fri Jan 10 10:41:59 PST 2014

The point sampling plugin can be very effective but is slow when dealing with a large number of points and a complex area to be sampled e.g. hundreds of thousands of points on a relatively detailed map of world countries.  I can cope with it being slow by just accepting it will take all day to run BUT it never completes because there is always something that happens on the pc that stops it, the last time it happened after about 4 hours with a couple more hours to run.  If you try to use any other program on the pc then the tool stops and also freezes qgis.  am currently running qgis 2.0.1 on windows7 64bit with quite a lot of ram although i note it never uses more than about 13% of the total ram.  I used to run the tool with earlier versions of qgis on windowsXP and had the same issue with it stopping if any other program was opened on the pc.
-- The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an exempt charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC 038302).