[Qgis-user] How to create a clipped grayscale raster with pixel values of 0 only on the unclipped areas

Andrea Acinelli aacinelli at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 06:25:06 PDT 2014

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get some help with the following problem. I'm working with
a grayscale georeferenced and clipped raster (.tif). The raster has been
clipped with the 'clipper' tool using a shapefile as a mask. The resulting
raster has black bands of color along the four edges which can be turned
off by assigning 0 pixel values to NO DATA values in the transparency tab
of the raster properties. The problem I have is that many other pixels
within the clipped area have 0 value which are also turned off. How can I
obtain a final raster that has 0 values only outside the clipped area?

I'm using:
QGIS standalone installer version 2.4 (64bit)
Windows 7 Professional
Service Pack 1
Intel Core Duo CPU E6850 @3.00GHz 2.99GHz
8 GB RAM