[Qgis-user] Recognition of QGIS feature funders

Vincent Picavet vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Wed Jul 2 08:18:12 PDT 2014

Hello,

I want to raise an important topic to fellow QGIS users, developers and...
funders ! It is clear from the release process debate, that one of the thing
we need, is more funders.

I regularly hear from potential QGIS funders sentences like "We would like to
be recognized as a funder for this feature".
I usually answer that we can make some announcement on Oslandia's behalf, and
clearly state that the feature we developped for them has been funded.

But there is nowhere in the QGIS project where these investors in OpenSource
get any recognition. It would be great to at least thank them, and better to
mention them in various places whenever we can too.
Most of the time, these users fund completely a feature, which is for sure
important for them, but will be used by many other users (non-funders). I
think their role should be emphasized.

It is mainly communication work, but it has a great impact, and particularly
for "deciders", who do not have any technical capabilities, do not track the
mailing list or the github repository, but would be really happy with their
name / logo in the "About" QGIS window.

Some proposals for this :
* At least mention feature funders in the visual changelog
https://github.com/timlinux/projecta/issues/102
* Mention bugfix funders and other various funders in the changelog as well
* Make a special "Thank you" page for funders
* Mention features and funders in the "About dialog box"

Sponsors are important for the QGIS project in order to be able to fund
community meetings, to sponsor core devs to help them go to conferences, allow
for QGIS brochures and other materials, and help to other QGIS-related event
But feature funders are really importante too, and often invest more money to
the project than sponsors, without having recognition.
Moreover, a lot of organisms, particularly public administration, cannot spend
money for sponsoring, whereas they can for feature funding.

This is communication, but improving the general feedback to the organizations
which really are spending money on QGIS to improve it for all of us to benefit
from, would really help to get more people and more organizations involved.

I would be glad to hear your thoughts on this,

Vincent