[Qgis-user] Import of kml file containing an image

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed Jul 2 12:54:03 PDT 2014

On 02-07-14 13:53, SCHULZ Wolfgang wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I would like to import the attached kml file which includes the attached
> gif file into QGIS but always get an error. There is no problem in
> Google Earth.
>
> Any workaround for this?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Hi Wolfgang,

as Andre tells you: the info is in the kml file and the gif itself.

for QGIS to load your gif, it needs a so called world file (google
worldfile), for gif with the extention .gfw

IF your image is not rotated (yours seems to have no rotation), you can
create a worldfile yourself (or use a tool, see below):

for your image something like this should work (also attached)

0.07213114754098361

0

0

-0.08043478260869565

-11.0

72.0

Line 1: A: pixel size in the x-direction in map units/pixel
Line 2: D: rotation about y-axis
Line 3: B: rotation about x-axis
Line 4: E: pixel size in the y-direction in map units, almost always
negative
Line 5: C: x-coordinate of the center of the upper left pixel
Line 6: F: y-coordinate of the center of the upper left pixel

to come to the values above:

- the image is 610 pixels wide, and 460 pixels high

- either open the kml file in an editor, or open it with QGIS, you find
this values for the extent:
north 72
south 35
east 33
west -11

first line becomes 44degrees/610=07213114754098361
second 0
third 0
fourth 37degrees/460=0.08043478260869565 (with a minus in front)
fifth = west
sixth = north

with this file you can load your gif file into QGIS (given you gave the
worldfile the same name+.gfw).

More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_file
http://dominoc925.blogspot.nl/2012/01/google-gadget-for-creating-esri-world.html
http://giswiki.hsr.ch/WorldFileTool

for simple kml files it should be easy to write a little plugin or
processing algorithm to do this...

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde