[Qgis-user] Visualisation of point data in a MS Access .mdb or ODBC database

Coen van Tooren coen at vuurtooren.nl
Tue Jul 8 02:06:46 PDT 2014

Dear all,

We have a large MS Access database that contains X & Y of measurement
locations of traffic intensity. We have previously exported the data to CSV
and used the QGIS Delimited Text import to plot the locations. We now would
like to be plot this dat a directly in QGIS by connecting to the MS Access
mdb.

1.       We have tried "Add Vector layer / database / odbc" which gives the
tables, but needs additionally  the route Processing / Toolbox /
Geoprocessing / create vector layer to create a map.

2.       As an alternative the Evis plugin connects fine and enables you to
predefine queries which show the results on the map.

In bot h solutions the problem is that after the project is saved and
re-opened the database connection has to be established again and all
queries need to be reloaded manually.

Also see this similar discussion on:
http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/9462/can-qgis-read-an-odbc-connection
/73160#73160

Our questions are:

1.	Can it be "live linked" to the ODBC connection so that when a
project is re-opened, the layer "replots" all old and newly added locations
dynamically (as opposed to exporting to shapefile, which would create a
snapshot in time)?
2.	Or in other words: Is there a way when re-opening the qqs project to
load the one of t he two solutions automatically (odbc>create vectorlayer or
the Evis plugin with the database connections and loading  of all predefined
queries).

We appreciate all the help in advance!

Regards, Coen