[Qgis-user] ECW file cannot open in QGIS 2.4

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Sun Jul 13 01:41:53 PDT 2014

Am 13.07.2014 06:14, schrieb zehari:
> dear all,
> thanks for information.
>
> Before, ECW JPEG2000 SDK v51 it worked fine on my QGIS2.2.
> but when i format the boot partition and I installed new ubuntu 14:04, and
> I installed a new QGIS.2.4 and also install ECW.JPEG2000.SDK.v51, but the
> program (QIS2.4) can not open the ECW file again.

ECW support worked with previous ubuntu relases, because there was a
libgdal-ecw package at ubuntugis unstable, complied for GDAL 1.10 up to
ubuntu raring. There is no package for trusty yet, and because QGIS 2.4
is built against GDAL 1.11, the old package will not easily work.

I have described a workflow to rebuild the driver here:

http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/94870/unable-to-install-ecw-support-on-lubuntu-14-04

It works for plain ubuntu as well. I did this with QGIS 2.2, and after
the update to 2.4 it still works.

Maybe someone more familiar with ubuntu could create an ecw package for
current GDAL 1.11.

HTH,
André Joost