[Qgis-user] Stress about release plans

Lene Fischer lfi at ign.ku.dk
Mon Jul 21 08:35:55 PDT 2014

Hi,

This is not a mail about bugs or issues on a special feature – just a matter of time.

Right now I´m preparing a 3 week intensive GIS course at university level - looking forward to these annual events. But I get stressed when I see that there are only 94 days until next version of QGIS. Because in November I start over again with a 8 week course and in February a 3 week course, in may a 3 week course. All in all we have more than 140 students learning QGIS every year – and they are impressed of this program!!!

I love getting new features in the program, but fear the work to run through every assignment, every video and being a bit unsure how the program works in the latest version on the different platforms.

Small changes which I haven´t noticed and therefore unaware of. So a new version so soon gives me a lot of stress and so many hours of work –  hours which could be used to ex. testing.

When I ask users to download the program they take the official latest version – sometimes with bugs included… It gives an impression of an unprofessional product (not my words), it gives me- and others hard times to fix or explain. I´ve been talking to other users/administrators who has the same experience.

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CFA50A.343BBD20]

What if we had :

·        A long term stable version for ex. 12 months with bugfix only

·        A developer version for 4 months with new features and bugfixes => Stable version with short bugfix-period => New developer……..

I do know it will give the developers more work – I do know it will cost more money – But I´m sure a lot of administrators will recommend,  use and support if we get a more stable environment.

So please – consider another release plan in the future.

Regards

Lene Fischer
Associate Professor

Department of Geosciences and Natural Resource Management
University of Copenhagen

MOB +45 40115084
lfi at ign.ku.dk<mailto:lfi at ign.ku.dk>

[SCIENCE_bomaerke_UK]