[Qgis-user] Stress about release plans

Andrew amcaninch at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 12:27:20 PDT 2014

> Is it a common practice for developer to fill feature requests for
> Documentation and help whenever they create new features? This would still
> free developers to keep creating good stuff, and help others to keep track
> of what needs attention in Docs. Using the visual changelog and scrolling
> the commits messages might not be reliable enough.

+1

In reading this thread I realised I don't know how communication
between developers and documenters works in QGIS, but it seems to me
that the previously mentioned idea of tying documentation and
development together doesn't necessarily mean that developers would be
required to write the documentation. (Obviously someone would but I
don't see why that would have to be the dev.)  I had the same thought
as Alexandre about filing documentation request to have a doc team
work on it?  This may require QGIS to prioritize documentation
differently than it currently does and that may not be the direction
people want to go, but from what others have said it sounds like there
might be some reason to shift current practice.

Also, I was just looking at the QGIS homepage and found it quite
difficult to figure out how to contribute to documentation.  Am I
missing something? I was expecting that contributing documentation
would be one of the subheadings under "Get Involved". I instead found
it under "Translate > Translate QGIS into your language" -- and then
had to scroll down and find the documentation section, which hasn't
been written, and click over to gtihub, which in turn includes no
information on how to actually contribute.  After some searching I was
able to find the "Manual Writing" page in the wiki. It seems like a
link to the wiki page would be useful  on the "Get Involved" page
somewhere as well as some information on how to contribute to other
documentation like help files.

andrew