[Qgis-user] Composite marker Symbol

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Jul 25 00:27:44 PDT 2014

Hi Les,

data-driven symbology and labeling is certainly possible. Look out for
these small icons next to each property widget where you can either
choose an attribute column or a QgsExpression (calculation). This works
for virtually any property. If something is missing, it could certainly
be added.

Regarding the legend, things are more complicated. If you use a lot of
data-driven symbology and labeling, generation of legends (both in the
layer tree and in print composer) will not work properly. In print
composer you can use a static legend as a workaround. You can draw the
legend yourself in a graphics package like Illustrator/Inkscape and
import the legend as SVG.

It is an open, not so easy to solve issue how to properly generate
dynamic legends based on data-defined symbology and labeling - to still
work fast enough - and do not destroy a print layout.
Ideas/comments/funding welcome ;-)

Andreas