[Qgis-user] OpenSource software for Drones

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Fri Jun 20 06:32:41 PDT 2014

Lene,

   While I had been following DIY UAV effort for may years, I just
seriously started about 18 months ago.  My goal was to be able to
reliably provide ortho-rectified high resolution imagery.  Here are some
of things I've learned:

1.  It is possible to buy some off-the-shelf systems (e.g.
www.aeryon.com/products/avs/aeryon-scout.html) but they can cost $20K to
$60k and are not "open"  (on the other hand, they are very reliable).
3DR (the commercial store for DiyDrones) has cost-effective, open
systems.  They just released their Iris/Pixhawk systems.

2.  The DIY Drones ecosystem is mostly populated with people who just
want to build, fly, and experiment with their own UAV platforms (frame,
powertrain and flight controller), but there a few people interested in
acquiring and processing UAV imagery as well.  Personally, I look at a
UAV as [just] a camera positioning system ;)

3.  Most of the software development effort in UAV image processing
comes from the "computer vision" space (e.g OpenCV). Google "structure
from motion" for more info on that type of processing chain.  I'm unsure
if that method pays enough attention to rigorous image geometry to
produce accurate ortho-rectified imagery.  Maybe; at any rate I want
DEMs and geotiffs as an end result (I think) and that chain tends to
produce non-georeferenced 3D models.  And if you've got a few hours to
burn reading current research, google "UAV SLAM"...

5. MicMac (http://logiciels.ign.fr/?-Micmac,3-) seems to use
photogrammetric principles, is set up to use UAV imagery, and is Open
Source, but as I mentioned before the learning curve is steep.  Their
user forum (http://forum-micmac.forumprod.com/) has links to the user
doc (280 page PDF!) and some sample data to work thru the examples in
the user doc.  Another possibility is OSSIM/OTB, and while their
algorithms are excellent, I don't think the software is set up to deal
with hundreds of images (bundle adjustment, etc), and it doesn't produce
DEMs (yet).

6. Lots of R & D to be done yet.  For example, using RTK/Post-processing
to calculate accurate camera centers (so no ground control points
necessary).  Some models of the cheap UBLOX GPS receivers can generate
pseudo-range info, so RTKLib is a possibility.

Good Luck!

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser