[Qgis-user] Unable to open OGR .vrt file

Andrea Acinelli aacinelli at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 18:26:11 PDT 2014

Hi,

Thanks Andre. Your help is very much appreciated.

Your last comment:

> Maybe there is another typo in your dataset. Alternatively, you can try
>
> ogr2ogr Global_24h.shp Global_24h.vrt
>
> and see if that shows the points correctly.

I tried the ogr2ogr utility that came with PostGIS by Postgresql.app and the resulting shapefile loads correctly in QGIS. The .vrt file I converted is the unedited one (see below) without the relativeToVRT="1" and reportSrcColumn="false" attributes:

<OGRVRTDataSource>
    <OGRVRTLayer name="Global_24h">
        <SrcDataSource>Global_24h.csv</SrcDataSource>
        <GeometryType>wkbPoint</GeometryType>
        <LayerSRS>EPSG:4326</LayerSRS>
        <GeometryField encoding="PointFromColumns" x="longitude" y="latitude"/>
    </OGRVRTLayer>
</OGRVRTDataSource>

The virtual file above seems to load correctly on windows as in your case.  Can I ask other mac users to test the above .vrt file, the .csv can be downloaded from http://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/active_fire/text/Global_24h.csv  and see if they need to insert the additional attributes display the points?

Thanks

Andrea

NOTE: This is my first support request and I noticed that I didn't reply properly. Almost all my mails represent a new thread. How do I replay so that my replays appear indented from the previous post etc..