[Qgis-user] GRASS plugin

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Jun 30 11:45:00 PDT 2014

On 06/30/2014 02:26 AM, srk3 wrote:
> I am testing out different software packages for my university to use. I am
> currently using QGIS as it seems to provide the most functionalities. I see
> that the GRASS plugin is already installed when I start using QGIS Desktop
> 2.2.0 from a stand-alone installer. I was just wondering if someone could
> tell me what additional functionalities come with the GRASS plugin?
> I would also like some opinions on how easy QGIS is to use for non-GIS
> users?
>
> Thank you,
> Sarah Knight

The GRASS plugin allows you to use most of the analysis algorithms from
GRASS directly from the QGIS interface. See
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/index.html for a full list of
methods. Note that via the Processing Plugin you can also add SAGA, OTB
and several other tools for even more analysis tools.

For a new user QGIS can be one of the easiest GIS platforms, most new
users will not use the above mentioned plugins unless they are
instructed to do so, or get much further in to learning GIS.

That said GIS is not easy for the random person off the street without
some guidance on basic topics. Please look at the QGIS Training Manual
and the consider getting an Intro GIS book-
The Geospatial Desktop - Gary Sherman
Learning QGIS 2.0 - Anita Graser

Enjoy,
Alex