[Qgis-user] trouble adding non-spatial table

Katie Bradley kbradley at ucdavis.edu
Wed Mar 5 14:06:43 PST 2014

Hi,
I'm pretty new to QGIS and could use some help with a challenge, if that's
appropriate to ask on this e-mail list.

I have a shapefile of California counties. And, I want to add a non-spatial
table that I can join with the shape file. The table is saved as a .csv and
I made a .csvt to go with it. When I try to add the .csv as a vector layer,
I get an error message that the file path is "not a valid or recognized
data source." I made sure that there are no special characters or spaces in
the file names, paths, and column headers. Can anyone explain the
conditions that need to exist for it to be a valid or recognized data
source? I'm using  QGIS 2.0.1-Dufour, if that matters.

Thanks,
Katie