[Qgis-user] Functionality matrix

James Wood jwood911 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 03:32:00 PDT 2014

Might I also add that it is hard to generalize software functionality because of licensing levels and implementation tiers. Can I create Voronoi (Thiessen) polygons within ArcMap? Yes and no. I can with an Advanced license, but not if I have Basic or Standard. I don't have to worry about that with QGIS. Does the Esri software platform allow connection to PostgreSQL databases? Yes and no. I have an Advanced level license of ArcGIS Desktop installed on my laptop, but because I do not have an Enterprise-level ArcSDE installation, I cannot access my PostgreSQL database. QGIS allows me direct access without the fuss. Need to perform a simple task like converting your polygons to lines? You'll need an Advanced Desktop license in the "software that must not be named"... but it is as simple as Vector>Geometry Tools>Polygons to lines in QGIS (2.2). And, of course, depending on the desired result, there may not be a single tool within either software that gets you what you want. I have performed a lot of drive-time analysis for fire station ISO ratings, and right now, that's just easier in the Esri software, however I feel like improved support for that is on the horizon for QGIS along with some other more advanced analysis tasks. The easiest geocoder I ever used (for use with locally stored data) was in a previous version of MapInfo. There are strengths and weaknesses to go around, so instead of an overall matrix comparison, it might be more fruitful to look at your particular task-oriented functions and research those. In the end, you may find that a blending of different software is a best fit.

Best Regards,
James