[Qgis-user] slow dissolve

Torsten Lange torsten.lange at mail.de
Fri Nov 28 03:09:31 PST 2014

Hi,

Since I work with QGIS the dissolve function tends to be very slow for me. E.g., it takes ours to dissolve a layer of 15000 polygons. ArcGIS in contrast, does the job in a couple of minutes. Usually, it doesn't take too long in our house until one of our ArcGIS licences is freed to solve the issue, but why it shouldn't work with QGIS?

Thus the question: Is dissolve generally a bottle neck in QGIS or does it depend on the structure of the dataset? The polygones I deal with are never overlapping, but have either common borders or are seperated. At least, I could imagine this may be the reason why the algorithm is so slow?

Appreciate your comments!
Torsten