[Qgis-user] Multiple QGIS installs (Windows)

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Mon Oct 13 08:10:56 PDT 2014

Am 13.10.2014 15:02, schrieb Jonathan Moules:
> Hi list, I was wondering, is it possible to have multiple installs of
> QGIS at the same time on a Windows box? I.e.: 2.2 2.4 2.6 (in a
> month)?
>
> Or can you only have one? And does the answer vary depending on
> whether you're using the OSGeo installer or the standalone one?

You can have them all, if you want ;-)

Only thing that is a bit complicated is the version that should start by
double-clicking on a .qgs project file. It is usually the version
installed last, except for the dev version. That does not get the .qgs
extension registration if you have a stable version via OSGEO4W. But it
overwrites the extension registration of a standalone version.

As a workaround, search for .../apps/qgis/qgis.reg in the installation
path of the wanted version, and double click on it. This sets the .qgs
extension registration.

And, as already mentioned: Some plugins (like the Openlayers plugin) do
not like older QGIS versions. You have no chance to get the compatible
plugin of QGIS 2.2 or older, and if you return to 2.4, the plugin has to
be reactivated in the plugin list.

Greetings,
André Joost