[Qgis-user] QGIS/ArcGIS python interference

Torsten Lange torsten.lange at mail.de
Thu Apr 9 13:02:41 PDT 2015

Hello qgis-user fellows,

I would like to pose a more general question here, because obviously my previous mails seemed just too OT ;)

Due to some severe problems when coincidently accessing/editing spatial data (not the same data but in the same directory) with ArcGIS on remote (samba) drives - which our IT sofar never couldn't really explain - I started using QGIS to easy the situation for my colleagues and me.

However, beside the sporty challenge for me to fastly adopt the productive operation of the QGIS including some still apparent drawbacks I sometimes just depend on functionallity that only ArcGIS provides. In our geological driven case thats for sure the very sophisticated "Spline with Barrier" function. We currently changed our workflow that previously based on a ArcView 3.x plugin, but which caused more and more trouble since Windows7/64bit rules the hardware in the department.

At one time I agreed to program a workflow that does all the necessary preprocessing and final gridding depending on quite a number of input parameters. Of course, I had no plan to cut me off as a (quite happy) QGIS user who by using QGIS in fact did an altruistic favour to the colleagues but esp. to the IT dep. ;)

So, I wrote a general python script using arcpy/spatial analyst... that accepts the input parameters as dictionary provided on command line or using a seperate python script defining a class holding the input parameter. I created a QGIS dialog plugin that collects all those parameters in an appropriate manner in the form of:

start /i cmd /c python myWorkflow.py -d "configDict = {'inputIsoLineFile': r"U:\... etc etc}"

I also learned I had to copy the xxx64bit.pth-File (don't remember the correct name right now) from the ArcGIS-Python directory to the QGIS python site-packages directory.

Now, beside some error messages (some gdal dll in QGIS....etc are not real 32bit.... or so), which seem to have no real impact on the run itself, I got my first grids, which I sent to a post processing befor leaving the desktop.

This to getting work cost me a lot of extra time. I mean, I did this "en passent" while fullfilling my main work. So I'm really interested in what would be your approach to that! In fact to me it seems much more easy if I could start a cmd session that has no inherits from what so ever and comes with the environment as if I would start it from the Windows menu.

Sorry for the long description, appreciating some thoughts of you!
Torsten