[Qgis-user] Windows 8 Location API

SASOLOCE sasoloce at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 01:22:30 PDT 2015

I have bought a Lenovo Thinkpad 10 with internal GPS.  This tablet has
Windows 8.1.

Windows 8 use the new interfaces for GPS sensors, and if you want to access
to GPS Data must be through the Location API and a Location Provider Driver
to get NMEA strings, instead of using a virtual COM port.

QGIS is not ready to use this Location API. I´ve tried to use programs
(trial version) like Centrafuse Location and GPSReverse, that maps such a
sensor to a Virtual COM port that you can use.

That works relatively fine, but is unstable in some situations.

Is in the roadmap the upgrading of GPS Tool to use this  new Location API?
It will be very useful.

Thanks in advance.