[Qgis-user] FGDC Geology Symbology for QGIS

Torsten Lange torsten.lange at mail.de
Wed Apr 22 02:04:17 PDT 2015

Thank you, Stefan,

I expected the import function for the *.xml files also in the layer style setting dialog. It's in project settings, now I know.

However, I have format problems related to the various line definitions for folds, faults etc. I see a lot of question marks. Is there something I have to do in addition?

Torsten

 Am 22-Apr-2015 02:55:47 +0200 schrieb s.revets at bigpond.com:
>From: Torsten Lange
 >Hi,
 >1. Stefan, thank you for uploading the symbology.
 >2. A first time "load symbology" question: How do I import a new
 >symbolgy or in what folder I have to put it?
 >Thanks, Torsten

 Hello Torsten,

 You can import new symbology via the Style Manager, using the Share
 button and then the Import choice. That allows you to navigate to
 wherever you put the various relevant .xml files (in the FGDC geology
 case, these are the contacts.xml, faults.xml, folds.xml, and
 joints.xml): it does not really matter where you keep these files (my
 personal preference is to have a dedicated qgis_projects folder in which
 I can assemble and organise projects as well as any support files I feel
 I may need).
 Once the symbology has been imported, it will be available for any
 project you care to pursue.
 Best wishes,

 Stefan

 >From: Lester Anderson
 >Hi Stefan,
 >Thanks for compiling the symbology managed to load all fine. The only
 >issue I spotted is with dashed or dotted line types. These do not seem
 >to contain the simple line component at the base (for line type etc)
 >and so these dashed/dotted versions show the markers on a blank space
 >and not following the line as when one adds a marker to a line. Not a
 >big deal. But thought it worth mentioning.
 >Lester

 Hello Lester,

 If I understand you correctly, then the reason you do not see dashed or
 dotted lines is because they are too fine to be visibly rendered by
 qgis. When you generate a map, these lines will be visible in the pdf,
 tiff, or other output you chose.
 When compiling the symbology, I discovered that qgis is not sufficiently
 precise with the thickness, lengths and separations between dashes. As a
 result, I defined a number of svg lines so that the distances and
 separations defined in the FGDC standard could be implemented. That is
 also why I have included the various .xml files: these combine the
 relevant .svg symbols and line segments into the hopefully correct FGDC
 symbol.
 Best wishes,

 Stefan