[Qgis-user] QGIS 2.81 How to match font size in project & composer

Martin Pescador martin.pescador at inventati.org
Sat Apr 25 00:34:08 PDT 2015

I am using QGIS 2.81 under Ubuntu to prepare some maps, and am
experiencing difficulties with text font sizes between the project
window and the print composer. I encounter two problems:

1) When I set the font size for a label in the project (e.g. 10 point)
the text appears overly small. When I use this layer in the print
composer the font appears oversized. To have the label appear at an
appropriate size in the print composer I have to reduce the font size in
the project window (e.g. to 7 point). It then appears to have a size of
c. 10 point in the print composer window. This problem, combined with
the fact that positioning a label in the project window so that it
appears correct in the print composer requires much to and fro between
the windows - and that is just for one label - makes use of labelling
problematic. I have to tweak the position of each label individually in
the project window, and it is largely guesswork.

2) If I add a text label (e.g. 10 point) directly in the print composer
window the text is oversized and to obtain c. 10 point I have to set a
font size of c. 7 point. This is less of a problem than problem (1) but
nevertheless perplexing. For my maps I am tending to add all labels
using this method, rather than using labels from the layers, because of
problem (1). For complex maps, however, this quickly becomes complicated
for a variety for reasons.

I am relatively new to QGIS so perhaps I am missing something / doing
something wrong. Could anybody with more experience kindly advise how
these matters can be resolved?

With grateful thanks, Martino