[Qgis-user] Merge polygons into multipart

Olivier Dalang olivier.dalang at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 07:50:46 PDT 2015

Dear List,

It's possible to merge several polygons into one using the "merge selected
features" tools. This dissolves the polygon into one and allows to select
which attributes to keep.

How can I merge the selected features into a multipart feature instead of
dissolving the polygons into one single polygon ? It works when polygons
are not touching, but it dissolves when they are touching. As far as I
know, polygons with touching rings are valid.

In other words I'm trying to find an equivalent to run the "singlepart to
multipart" algorithm, but on the current selection only, and in the edit
buffer instead of in a new layer.

Thanks !

Olivier