[Qgis-user] Satellite Image Geo-referencing

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Wed Apr 29 07:35:29 PDT 2015

Hi,
I am not sure what you mean about the second part of your question. Can
you add a screen shot with more details?  (You may have to add a nodata
value to the raster to reset the scale.)

As for the first part, if you use and interpolation method with, for
example a 3 meter search radius, then you will most likely finish with a
raster that is 3m. wider on all sides.  If your area  is a square or a
rectangle, then you can select an x min, x max, y min, ymax (Raster/
Interporlation Plugin).  If you are using Gdall_Grid
(Raster/analysis/Grid) you can manually add the same bounding box
extant  (http://www.gdal.org/gdal_grid.html)  with the -txe and -tye
configurations.  Click on the yellow pen and on the Help button for more
information.  You can also use the Clipper tool (raster/extraction/clipper).

If your area boundary is not square, you can manually cut back the
raster by using the following method.
1: Creating a mask:
- Create a new polygon vector file with a new field that will receive 1
and 0.  You will have to create a polygon with the area you what to keep
(1) and for areas you need to cut (0)
- Can use tools like "vector/research tools/polygon from layer extent"
to help out.
- convert the vector to a raster (same size and resolution as your
interpolated result) "raster/conversion/vector to raster"

2: Use the Clipper tool or simple raster math to clip the extant by
multiplying both rasters.  Area with "0" will be set to "0" and Area
with "1" will keep there values.  You may have to add no value data to
make it work "right click on layer/ save raster layer as/ No data values..."

Hope this helps.
Nicolas