[Qgis-user] How to define which CRS to use?

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Thu Apr 30 07:31:23 PDT 2015

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 16:27:42 +0200

Am 29.04.2015 um 18:16 schrieb Joris Hintjens:
> Hello,
>
> I have a csv file with a list of coordinates. for example one of
> them: X	Y 12374462.4355	4877977.8396
>
> notice the (to me at least) strange X coordinate: in the 12millon
> range.

This might be a false Easting. In the Soviet Union, 3-degree or 6-degree
Gauss-Krueger systems based on the Pulkovo datum were common. To
distinguish the zones, a high value of false Easting was added.

> I know the point should land somewhere near the Kazach town of
> Shalkya, with coordinates in the EPSG3857 (WGS 84 pseudo mercator) of
> +/- X: 750800 Y: 5472000

These coordinates end up in the South of France for me.
There might be one digit missing for the Easting.

Greetings,
André Joost