[Qgis-user] Displaying custom raster band names

François-Xavier Thomas francois-xavier.thomas at airinov.fr
Tue Aug 4 05:21:27 PDT 2015

Hi Stefan,

On 08/04/2015 10:34 AM, Stefan Kiefer wrote:
> found this by coincidence while looking for something different. That
> might be interesting for you. Or have you seen this already?
> http://fromgistors.blogspot.com/2013/07/working-with-multispectral-bands-in-qgis.html

The article apparently deals with creating multiband rasters (which I am
already able to do), but not storing/displaying a different band name in
QGIS.

I wasn't able to find anything on which format format ArcGIS uses to
store band names (and I can't check since I do not own a license). For
now I'm storing the band name in a "Band" PAM metadata item for each
individual band in the GeoTiff raster, e.g. gdalinfo prints the following :

     Driver: GTiff/GeoTIFF
     Files: test.tif
     Size is 4850, 4340
     Band 1 Block=4850x1 Type=Float32, ColorInterp=Gray
       NoData Value=nan
       Metadata:
         Band=GREEN

In QGIS this is displayed properly under the "Metadata" tab, but I
wasn't able to display band names elsewhere. If anybody has an idea on
whether this is doable, I'd appreciate any help.

Cheers,
François-Xavier