[Qgis-user] CAD like drawings in qgis

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Sun Aug 9 00:37:28 PDT 2015

On 8 August 2015 at 20:09, Michael.Dodd <michael.dodd at open.ac.uk> wrote:

> Is it possible to do CAD like drawings in qgis, for example the ground
> plan of a house plus the elevations?  I know qgis is not a CAD package and
> that you could do a non-earth map in qgis to show the ground plan but I was
> wondering whether there is any simple CAD like ability via a plugin. If
> this is not possible is there an opensource CAD program that might link to
> qgis so that it can pick up the ground plan and surrounding area?

There are a number of existing plugins that offer some CAD-like facilities,
and the situation is improving all the time. I recommend CADTools and
CADDigitize as being the most useful and usable for CAD-lite. Note that
CADTools is broken in QGIS 2.8, but works fine in 2.6 or 2.10. There is
also CADInput which was an experimental plugin up until 2.6 but was
integrated into the main QGIS in 2.8, this allows you to more directly
enter dimensions required but is not as user friendly I find. Not that this
is all 2D CAD, 3D is something QGIS doesn't do yet.

Longer term, CADInput will be better integrated, and the new geometry
engine in 2.10 will greatly improve things by having the z dimension
built-in thus making QGIS 3D capable. I know there are a lot of people
looking at how to bring QGIS up to standard for CAD and BIM uses

As for compatible CAD programs, I vaguely recall some work to make LibreCAD
work with QGIS, as they both use Qt as the toolkit? Not sure if anything
happened with that.

John.