[Qgis-user] Modeler-only tools: Calculator

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Sun Aug 9 14:03:22 PDT 2015

Am 09.08.2015, 21:35 Uhr, schrieb Blumentrath, Stefan
<Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no>:

> Hi Bernd,
>
> From your explanation it did not become quite clear to me what you
> actually want to achieve.

Hi Stefan,
actually my post was a mixture between a rant and questions, cause I'm
really a bit pissed off that hard work can be destroyed that easily by
that function. When a function is missing, ok, thats life, and I'll try to
work around.
But when a function has a built-in self-detonator that will crunch my work
in a second, my blood-pressure is rising ...

The modeler really became a nice tool. The safety of the models could
maybe somehow enhanced. Already lost lots of models in the past, till I
got the idea to switch the model path to our cloud server which keeps some
versions which can be restored.

> My guess is that you are struggling with a similar issue which a
> colleague of mine had with the raster map calculator.
> He was wondering how to use numerical variables in the raster map
> calculator, which takes the formula only as a string argument (probably
> it is the same with the Field calculator (I am not so familiar with this
> part of QGIS)?).
>
> The, probably not very elegant, but still simple solution is to generate
> the formula in a python script in Processing, which injects your
> numerical values into the formula. E.g. like this (where "F" is the
> formula and "C" e.g. a (string) map variable you are going to use in the
> formula):
>
> ##A=number 1
> ##B=number 5
> ##F=output string
> F=str(A) + "/" + str(B) + "* C"
>
> You can then uses this Python script in your model...
>
> Hope that helps. It works at least well for the raster map calculator...

I'll give it a try.

Thanx for the hint

The rest of my rant was about how to "repair" a broken model, which
somehow seems to be impossible.

Cheers
Bernd