[Qgis-user] Dimension feature using QGIS 2.8

Enrique filonio at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 04:59:23 PDT 2015

I have found some issues testing dimensioning plugin (dimensioning version
0.0.2, from Stefan ZIegler
<http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/author/Stefan%2520ZIegler/>, with QGIS
2.10.1 Pisa, Win7).

Some basic ideas (more testing required...):

A. On QGIS 2.10.1 you should edit
.qgis2\python\plugins\dimensioning\tools\utils.py

  A.1. Edit line 35:

original line:
QgsMapLayerRegistry().instance().addMapLayer(vl, True)

shoud be:
QgsMapLayerRegistry.instance().addMapLayer(vl, True)

  A.2. Recommended, delete utils.pyc (compiled version of utils.py)

  A.3. It is no required to restart QGIS nor the plugin. Please not
re-install the plugin, your edit would be lost.

B. The plugin database
.qgis2\python\plugins\dimensioning\sqlite\dimension.sqlite comes pre-filled
with some sample data (26 dimension lines). You can load it to browse the
content.

C. All the dimensioning features are common to all your QGIS proyects and
layers. A field layer_id should store an integer code for each layer you
are interested in dimensioning, and the dimension length, the offset of the
help lines, and the length of the help lines.

D. Select your feature layer, then you are able to click the points
selector button, select two vertex, then click the dimension button and set
the four parameters required, click Add and then close. The sqlite database
is loaded (if it isn't yet) and a new line added to the layer "Dimension
main lines", and in theory two lines added to the layer "Dimension help
lines".

E. Some issues:

E.1. You have to select a new layer_id for each dimension. I think this
could be a bug, caused because the fields in the database are not correctly
filled with the proper data. More testing soon...

E.2. I can't guess how the offset fields are used by the plugin, unexpected
results... No reference system is set to the database nor to its layers.

Obviously the plugin needs to be upgraded and improved, but some expertise
on python in required...

Finally, I don't know if it is feasible to manage dimensions (in the sense
of CAD features) inside GIS software. Could be useful for very basic tasks;
and use a free and open source CAD for more advanced works.

Enrique.