[Qgis-user] How to reference a map with qGIS

Laurence Béchet bechet.laurence at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 18:22:29 PDT 2015

Hi,

I'm investigating the use of electronic devices to record data when
people are doing field work. Apps like PDF Maps require referenced maps
in pdf or tiff format. While it's quite easy to design a referenced map
from a GIS project with ArcGIS, it's seems to be quite a challenge with
qGIS.

I have a qGIS project with different shapefiles. If I use /project/save
as image/ and create a .tiff file, then use
/raster/conversion/translate/ the tiff file into a geotiff, the result
is georeferenced. But the map itself is not very exciting.

If I use the composer to create the .tiff file and then use
/raster/conversion/translate/ the tiff file into a geotiff (as in the
previous case), the final map is not georeferenced.

At this stage I'm kind of lost, as the composer allows setting like
GDAL, CRS etc.. and everything seems to be set properly.

I'm on Windows7 pro, with qGIS Wien 2.8.3 (I've got a rendering pbe with
version 2.10 which forced me to downgrade to 2.8).

Would someone have any ideas? What's the best practice to create geo
referenced tif or pdf?

Regards
Laurence Bechet