[Qgis-user] Incredibly slow performance using QGIS v2.10

Ken Walenga walenga.ken at gene.com
Sun Aug 30 09:53:22 PDT 2015

Looking for help. I have an unsimplified ZIP.shp file and want to create my
own custom boundary files for territories which are a collection of zip
code areas. I bring in the Zip.shp file and  join to a Zip2Terr.csv file on
the Zip field. When I try to dissolve the TERR_NBR field, the dissolve
process can take longer than 2 whole days (!). Any ideas on ways to speed
it up? I have tried using a simplified Zip.shp file, but that results in
way less than satisfactory boundary files with gaps, etc. Might this be a
problem with v2.10? Is it possible that I would see better performance
using an earlier rev?

I am using v2.10 of QGIS, running on a Win7 HP destop machine, quad core, 8
GB RAM.

Thanks.

----
Kenneth Walenga
Commercial BI & Reporting
Genentech, A Member of the Roche Group
US CommOps - USMA Data Services
"Every moment matters.  Making IT happen."
(O) 650-467-6855
(F) 650-467-2570
(M) 650-438-4505