[Qgis-user] lat/log grid

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Sun Feb 1 12:13:11 PST 2015

Hi Kathleen,
NIWA in New Zealand also needed this sort of capability, & paid Nyall Dawson (downunder QGIS developer) to implement improved lat/long grids & annotations to the QGIS map/print composer (he did a great job!) - but if you want the grid as a map layer, then you'll need to follow some of the links Anita suggested to create a set of lines forming the grid.
You could also use use CAD tools plugin to edit parallel & orthogonal lines in a new layer, but beware that displaying lat/long lines in a projected map can be problematic - the straight line vs great circle issue.

To create an image with a lat/long grid using the map composer (requires at least v2.6 of QGIS):
create your map as usual & start a new print composer (file menu).1. add your map to the page (using tool on left side)
2. add a grid, choosing your spacing & labelling preferences - to create something like the attached image
(using menu on right side) 3. Save as image (menu along top)

Note that you can create multiple grids, which lets you have one grid with (say) 5 degree ticks/lines, then another with no ticks/lines but with labels at a 10 degree interval - so your map has every second line labelled.
Hope this helps, if you need more detailed instructions, ask me off list...

Brent