[Qgis-user] Deploying Qgis in an organisation.

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Mon Feb 16 05:06:12 PST 2015

Hi,

Very interesting thread!

Would it work to install QGIS/OSGeo4W to a network drive and just copy it from there to the different Workstations (e.g. to C:\OSGEO4W64 for Windows workstations)? Will not registry / path settings be scrued?

In our institution we distribute QGIS settings using a batch script on Windows (attached, renamed it from bat to .txt, so the mail does not end on a blacklist) for setting registry keys for OWS / database connections, GUI or digitizing related settings or copying project templates or default plugins.

But institution-wide installation of OSGeo4W remained as a challenge (including keeping QGIS-plugins up to date). I tried to download packages to a network drive (so not everybody had to download from the internet). But users had trouble with installing from there through osgeo4w installer... So I would be very interested in learning more cost-efficient means of deployment of the software (OSGeo4W / QGIS)...

Cheers
Stefan