[Qgis-user] save layer as with OGR2OGR options

Julien_Guilloux julien.guilloux at ecrins-parcnational.fr
Mon Feb 16 08:54:29 PST 2015

Hi list,
i already read a lot of post about exporting layer in another format using
"save as " windows of QGIS with adding ogr2ogr options (in data source box
or layer box down the windows).

the trouble is the same that a lot of people : i "only" want to export a
layer shape in a layer GPX

1) of course i could only use GPX_USE_EXTENSIONS  = YES and all my fields
would go into the <extension>
 xml;
But... it is not what i need. i really need to have the fields "name" and
"cmt" as they exist in the real gpx structure !

2) so, how to rename my field "testfield" to a field called "name" so as to
respect GPX syntax ?

in the data source option i try many many many syntaxe :

-sql "SELECT testfield AS name FROM testlayer" (this is ogr2ogr
documentation...)
-sql "SELECT testfield AS name"
sql "SELECT testfield AS name FROM testlayer"
"SELECT testfield AS name FROM testlayer"
'SELECT testfield AS name FROM testlayer'

Etc... But it never works !

i also try some syntaxe using the -dsco option but no more succes !

so, is it possible to use ogr2 ogr option ?

another thing : there use to be a samll GPX plugin to do that, we could
choose the field for name etc. ( i don't talk about gps extension with
gpsbabel)
is this plugin still exist ? theis plugin in was made with ogr2ogr i think,
so what not to use ogr2org option directly ans asked here ?

thanks a lot.

Thanks for helping. So long