[Qgis-user] Qgis settings corrupted after crash.

Hillers Heather Heather.Hillers at erftverband.de
Tue Feb 24 04:13:27 PST 2015

Hello,

We have QGIS 2.6 running on a Windows Farm environment.  We are currently testing the installation with a few users to judge stability.  We have twice seen the following:

1.       Qgis crashes or ends badly for some reason.

2.       Qgis is restarted by the user.

3.       The user sees the settings from another user. (network settings, database connections, last used projects, everything)

We cannot reproduce this error.  We can only confirm that on 2 separate occasions in the last 2 months, 2 separate users have seen the error in the presence of reliable witnesses, and that on one occasion it happened in a workshop in which the 2 affected users, of which I was one, were sitting next to each other and could view each other's screens.

Our user profiles are on a networked drive K:\qgis, so that we have the same QGIS profile everywhere in the farm.  One upshot of this is that from the Windows machine it is not possible to see the profile of another user.  How one user's QGIS instance is reading another user's profile is a mystery.  Our theory is, that when QGIS crashes, perhaps it tries to restore its state from some  ... place, that is central, and not separate to the user, or they are in memory somewhere.  And maybe in that way it somehow grabs the in memory or in cache settings from the most recent active user in order to restore the state?

Does anyone have an idea what this problem might be, what kind of diagnostic I could run, where I could look for clues?  This is clearly going to be really bad if it happens often with all our users on the system.  I need a fix badly.

Thanks,

Hasel Hillers