[Qgis-user] Trouble projecting on the fly

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Tue Feb 24 07:26:44 PST 2015

Am 24.02.2015 um 07:55 schrieb Ramon Andiñach:

>> On 24 Feb 2015, at 14:06, Sharon Selvaggio
>>
>> I start by setting my project CRS.
>
> And make sure OTF is on.

You have no choice of setting a project CRS if OTF is off.

>> But when I do this with files that have originated from two
>> different sources with different native projections (or no
>> projection?) they still do not align.
>
> Different sources or different layer CRS shouldn't matter.

Shapefiles without .prj file are still existing in the world.

> There is an option mentioned previously so that you can set how QGIS
> handles layers that it can't tell what the CRS is.

Settings -> Options, CRS Tab, CRS foor new layers.

> If you can point us at the files you're using - or excerpts from them
> - then we might be able to understand where the problem is better.

Or tell us the extent of every layer, as reported by Rightclick ->
Properties, metadata tab.

> 1. On a side note. Do not use the Google maps/satellite images to
> check if your layers are in the right place unless you understand the
> gotchas in using that service.

I don't agree with that.
If some layers come up on the wrong part of the Earth, it is a good
reference to see which layers are right and which are wrong.

Natural Earth shapefiles can be a reference as well.

Greetings,
André Joost