[Qgis-user] Strange Error in QGIS - atrribute names labelled _1, _2, _3 ... and strings displayed as NULL

Daniel Lincke daniel.lincke at globalclimateforum.org
Sat Feb 28 11:44:30 PST 2015

Whenever I look at the attribute table or at the attribute dialog for a
shape, the attribute names are shown as _1,_2,_3, ... In the attributes,
Strings are generally displayed as "NULL". Numbers are fine.

Here is what it looks like:

pic-upload.de/view-26274655/Tunesia.jpg.html
<http://www.pic-upload.de/view-26274655/Tunesia.jpg.html>

This happens to all shapefiles and it has not been a Problem in the
beginning but at some point it startet. I unintalled Qgis several times
and reinstalled different versions (2.2,2.6,2.8) from different sources
(Ubuntu repositories, QGIS repositories) ... the problem remained. I
also uninstalled grass libraries ... the problem remained. I reinstalled
QT ... the problem remained. Any suggestion?

With that problem, QGIS is hardly usable :(

I'm using Ubuntu 64-bit. The problem startet under version 14.04, but
survived an update to 14.10.

And: The shapefiles are not broken! I tried at Computers from my
colleauges who share the same configuration and everything is fine. Also
doing a dbfdump gives the correct attribute names and Strings are shown
normally. So the link dbf-qgis is somehow broken?

Any ideas?