[Qgis-user] Creating accurate heat maps and hot spot maps

Julia Cusack sandj123 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 16 17:59:54 PST 2015

Hi,

I am writing to request advice on creating accurate heat maps and hot spot maps.

I am mapping 5 heritage sites where 100s, and in a few cases 1000s, of points representing various attributes have been recorded using a differential GPS.  I want to show the density of these attributes and then demonstrate a threshold (no. of attributes) in hot spots in each heritage site.

I have no problems creating heat and hot spot maps following the QGIS instruction manual and Ujaval Gandhi’s tutorials, but I am uncertain about how to use the advanced raster heatmap plugin settings to set the x and y cell size, kernel shape etc.  I seem to get different results every time I create a map.  So, is it ok to leave the advanced settings off? and just choose the radius? Depending on attribute, I set the radius to 10m, 5m and 1m.

This is for my PhD, so I need the mapping and hot spot math to be accurate rather than representative.

Any advice on this will be much appreciated,

Julia

Sent from Windows Mail