[Qgis-user] qgis and grass7

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 00:04:27 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 4:06 PM, Gustavo Martínez <gmpuljak at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been working with Qgis 2.8 in Linux Mint 17-64bit without problems. The
> only error I've found in my use case was when I tried to connect with
> Grass7.
> When looking in the web, I noticed that the grass plugin will be updated for
> grass7 in Qgis 2.10.

GRASS support in QGIS has two parts: provider and plugin. The provider
was upgraded to GRASS 7 in QGIS 2.10 and it allows to browse GRASS
data in QGIS browser, display maps, import data to GRASS by drag and
drop and manage GRASS maps (copy, rename, delete). Upgrade of the
plugin (modules, editing, region, mapsets) is scheduled for QGIS 2.12.

> I've installed the 2.11.0-Master from:
>
> deb http://qgis.org/ubuntugis-nightly trusty main
>
> With this version, I have the same problem. When I open the qgis log it
> shows:
>
> 2015-07-01T10:32:58 1 No se pudo cargar
> /usr/lib/qgis/plugins/libgrassplugin6.so (motivo: Cannot load library
> /usr/lib/qgis/plugins/libgrassplugin6.so: (libgrass_vect.so: no se puede
> abrir el archivo del objeto compartido: No existe el archivo o el
> directorio))
>
> libgrass_vect.so does not exist. I tried creating a link to
> libgrass_vector.7.0.so but qgis does not starts and shows a message of
> segment violation.

Since version 2.10, QGIS  may be compiled with GRASS 6, GRASS 7 or
both. All provider/plugin libs and binary modules have GRASS major
version suffix, for example libgrassplugin6.so supports GRASS 6, it is
linked to GRASS 6 libs and it won't work with GRASS 7 libs. You need
libgrassplugin7.so, libgrassprovider7.so and so on, if it is not
present in ubuntugis-nightly, it means that the package in the distro
was not built with GRASS 7. And of course, you also need GRASS 7
package. I am not sure about policy for Ubuntu, but Debian for
example, AFAIK, decided to switch from GRASS 6 to GRASS 7 without
transition period with parallel support for both versions.

> Is there anything I can do?

I see grass 7.0.0-1~exp2~trusty3  in
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntugis-unstable, so it
should be possible to compile
libqgisgrass*2.11.0*trusty-ubuntugis_*.deb with GRASS 7. I don't see
GRASS 6 for trusty however , it implies the same policy as Debian? Can
UbuntuGIS and QGIS ubuntugis-nightly maintainers comment?

Radim