[Qgis-user] QGIS instalation and uninstallation issues

Evanilton Pires pires.evanilton at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 03:43:15 PDT 2015

Dear QGIS users

My name is Evanilton Edgar Serrão Pires, I am an Environmental Engineering
student and a QGIS user.

I started to use QGIS 2.2.0 Valmiera last year and since my first
installation it never installed GRASS and SAGA correctly (their shortcut
never appeared correctly and never worked, therefore I could never use
those applications inside QGIS)  . At that time I was using Windows 8. When
I started QGIS it appeared a dialogue box saying «QGIS couldn't find your
GRASS installation.

Would you like to specify path (GISBASE) to your GRASS installation?». And
inside QGIS, SAGA and GRASS algorithms never worked properly. With the new
releases of QGIS 2.4.0 Chugiak and 2.6.0 Brighton, when uninstalling, it
would uninstall and install normally, however, always telling me that the
previous version was already installed at the time of the installation,
although I uninstalled it previously.
Early this year, I bought a new computer (which came with Windows 8.1
Single Language) and I installed QGIS 2.8.1 Wien in first place (the first
app to be installed right when I bought the computer, after the anti-virus,
of course) and for my joy, it installed GRASS and SAGA correctly and was
working very well, in such way that I was very happy with it. However, on
the 25th of May, I uninstalled the 2.8.1 version and installed the 2.8.2,
but for my displeasure, the GRASS and SAGA plugins were not properly
installed again.
I went to the QGIS project website looking for solutions and I found a page
saying that I should specify the path for the ''.exe'', but in the program
folder  there is no executor file. I even installed GRASS independently
again and in the new installation folder there is no ''.exe'' either. When
I install SAGA independently it does not work with QGIS.
Another strange thing is that after I have uninstalled the 2.8.1 version
and tried to install the 2.8.2, for the first time when installing it
appeared the information of skipping all the folder creations and
extractions, and at the end it said that QGIS was installed but the
application did not exist in my computer. When I installed for the second
time, it extracted and created the folders, and when finished QGIS was in
my computer. Attached you may find the file it produced in the first
attempt.

I always install using the standalone-installer.

If you need any further information, please let me know.

What should I do? Is it normal for the software never be completely removed
from the system? Please, I really would like to solve this issue.

Hope to hear from you soon.

QGIS is really good and useful, and I think we should promote its
development.

All the best to you guys