[Qgis-user] Qgis Server doing SELECT st_extent("way") ... for each tile

Walter Nordmann walter.nordmann at web.de
Thu Jul 16 03:09:41 PDT 2015

Hi,

i'm trying to get Qgis WMS-Server running on my system. Everything is
fine except the performance which is extremly poor.

QGIS-Server is doing

/SELECT st_extent("way") FROM "public"."planet_osm_point"////WHERE
(tags->'emergency'='fire_hydrant')/

*for every tile*.

see https://osm.wno-edv-service.de/images/osm/snapshots/qgis_extent.png

The OpenStreetMap database is very! big and each of those - i think
needless - queries runs for some minutes.

A specific index for that query does exist und is beeing used,
estimatedmetadata is true and autovacuum is running too but may be the
index is getting old during the day.

Question: *Is there a way to  force Qgis not to compute the extent for
every tile again and again?*

I'm having the same problem (searching the extent) in Qgis Gui only once
at the first attempt to display a PostGis-layer. May be that's the same.

I'm running Qgis 10, but the older versions are doing the same.

May be i'll switch back to MapServer, which does not have those
problems, but i would like to do the job with Qgis because of WYSIWYG.
Or i'll use GeoServer. :(

Regards
walter