[Qgis-user] Organic heatmap outter contour, and making it look better

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Sat Jul 25 20:47:27 PDT 2015

Generic Mapping Tools (http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu) can do all you want, fully scripted:
surface, triangulate, xyz2grd, greenspline can all generate a grid from scattered point data, depending just how you want it done
gridhisteq can normalise it if requiredgrdimage will turn it into a postscript imageps2raster will turn it into a georeferenced png
if you want to clip it to a contour, you can use psclip, or you can use a colour palette to set cells representing certain values to NA, & render them as transparent

you can then provide it as a WMS layer with mapserver, qgis server or geoserver
See sections 7.14-7.19 here:http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/gmt4/gmt/html/GMT_Docs.html

GDAL may be adequate, but has a more limited set of gridding & cartographic tools, and GRASS can also do what you want.