[Qgis-user] Question on default file formats

Árni Geirsson arni at alta.is
Wed Jul 29 02:35:21 PDT 2015

Hi Andreas and Bernd
Thank you for taking this further. I appreciate Andreas' challenge to start
an initiative. I have enjoyed using QGIS but only contributed some money
and would enjoy having a more active role. I tend to agree with Bernd,
though, that it might not be a good idea to go ahead with a somewhat
strategic development like this in such a haphazard way. It seems to me
that the problem is not the lack of initiative or funding but the
determination on where to go with file format options and priorities - but
I am just a distant observer from the sidelines and do not know much about
what has been discussed. I assume that this would require systematic
evaluation of the available options and preferably a consensus in the user
and developer communities. I have seen mixed opinion stated on whether the
geopackage is a viable successor to the shapefile. I don't know myself, I
don't think I know enough myself to be able to form an opinion. There may
be other candidates.

Arni

Árni Geirsson
*Alta ehf* // +354 582 5000 // +354 897 9549
www.alta.is  // Alta á Twitter <http://twitter.com/alta_ehf> // Alta á
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alta/161795813838691?v=wall>