[Qgis-user] Qgis Map composer scale distorted in hard copy (printout)

Sashikumar N sashikumar.n at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 13:49:03 PDT 2015

Dear All,
This is my first post to the forum as a new member. I seemed to be jinxed
by a scale distortion problem. I am using windows 8.1 version, Qgis 2.8.1,
installed as standalone version.

Here is my problem, I am setting the scale in the Map composer as 1:250,000
for a test print of A4 size sheet. i know the  straight line distance of
two points in the vector layers of map view. The distance is 52.5 km
approximately. For the above scale it means 1cm = 2500 m (2.5 km). For the
distance between the known points it should measure as 21 cm in a printout.
I exported the map composer sheet to pdf file and then printed it. Now when
i measure the distance between the known points, it measures only 17.8 cm
instead of 21 cm or the distance on ground is calculated as only
44.5 km. So for the printed map, the scale is not 1:250,000 as fixed in the
map composer, but 1:295000

While printing i have taken care that, auto scaling / fit to page etc from
printer setting is disabled. So i guess i print as it came out of the map
composer.

My question in simple terms: does the map composer scale and printed map
scale match in a normal course? What is the mistake i am doing. Am i
ignoring the projection effects or any other basic criteria in creating the
map composition? How do i make sure that the scale in the printout is same
as the map composer scale?

Thanks for your help

ps: All my layers CRS is EPSG 24343 (Kalainpur 1975 / UTM zone 43 N), I am
using EPSG 4326 OTF to get lat long to be printed on the map. The distance
between points is measured horizontally across the map.

--
Thankyou
regards