[Qgis-user] Local Government for QGIS

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Jun 12 01:34:53 PDT 2015

Hi Steve,

Thank you for raising this important discussion.

In some European countries the situation is a bit different and Open
Source solutions are gaining an increasing market share. I live and work
in Switzerland - and while the majority of the markets still uses ESRI
products - there is an increasing number of provinces who also
increasingly use Postgis, QGIS, OpenLayers, etc - sometimes exclusively
and sometimes side by side with proprietary software.

I also think that the next couple of years we will see an increasing
number of governmental organisations introducing OpenSource GIS side by
side with commercial GIS and will gradually shift more and more
applications to FOSSGIS.

Some examples in Switzerland:

* The national mapping portal runs exclusively on OS software (Postgis,
OpenLayers, and some more) - it runs very well, fast and is very popular
- production of the data is still done exclusively in ESRI
* 2 provinces in Switzerland run exclusively in FOSSGIS, about 7 and 8
additional provinces introduced FOSSGIS side by side with commercial
products
* several cities and water/gaz providers are currently migrating to
FOSSGIS to document utility networks
* The austrian province "Vorarlberg" introduced several hundred
installations of QGIS as the main GIS in their administration
* several Scandinavian countries/provinces/cities are already using
FOSSGIS on both Desktop GIS and web mapping

The list would be much longer - but things are moving slowly and
steadily to more FOSSGIS usage in Europe - at least I can tell

There are two other interesting points:

* in my opinion - it is not so much about money - but about different
values: the ability to more easily influence the direction of the
software, support of open standards, integration with other FOSS
software, etc.
* as an employee of a local government it is so much more interesting
being able to actively contribute to FOSS software rather than just
using software "as is".

As you can see above - it is more the "richer" countries that are moving
towards Open Source and fewer "poorer" countries. This indicates that
the factor "cost" is less important than people think.

Andreas