[Qgis-user] Issue installing QGIS 2.8 64 bit on Windows 8.1 - it defaulted to the administrative user

Peter Cooper peter at pcooper.me.uk
Sun Jun 14 20:31:53 PDT 2015

I have 64 bit windows 8.1, and 2 users – an administrative user and a non-administrative one.

As I normally do for installations, I used the non-administrative user to download and install the QGIS Standalone installer version 2.8 64 bit. It seemed to install OK except that it was installed for the administrative user (without asking me for any password).  I only realised this when I could not get it to work from the desktop of the user I had installed it in, and saw that the sample data had been installed into the Documents folder of the administrative user.

Do I have to keep using it from my administrative user? Did I miss this bit of the installation documentation?

By the way I was a little confused to start with by all the new icons that appeared on my desktops, and I am assuming I can ignore all but one:
  a.. 3 on all desktops: MSYS, SAGA GIS (2.1.2), OSGEO4W Shell
  b.. plus 3 just on the administrative user’s desktop: GRASS GIS 6.4.3, QGIS Browser 2.8.2, QGIS Desktop 2.8.2
Now I have found how to run it I am looking forward to exploring QGIS for my own uses. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to it.

Peter C