[Qgis-user] labelling by attribute

James Keener jim at jimkeener.com
Sat Jun 20 08:45:51 PDT 2015

>>> 0.00xx percent of what ESRI has available in its budget.
>> And have an amazing piece of software to show for it!
>
> Thanks we try our best.

But seriously, I've shown people who've only used Arc QGIS and they love
it!  They find the interface easier to understand and use, and some of
them also really latch onto the idea of it being F/OSS (beer AND
speech)!  I only hope that at some point I have enough that I can give
back.  QGIS is amazing and may be in the process of changing the flow of
my life (more on that in a few months if this works ::fingers crossed::).

> For the import we will probably use a library called
> Teigha - the same library also used by ESRI, Bricscad, Intergraph and
> many others. We will have to join the OpenDesignAlliance to get access
> to this library and pay a yearly membership fee - we still have to
> investigate which level of membership we need as an open source project.
> It is clear that the DWG import is harder than the DXF export, but the
> Teigha library will help a lot.

Not to argue, since I'm not the one doing the work (and it's a feature
that could help me out a bit!), but how does this mesh with GPLv2 and
the goal of being a F/OSS platform?

>> In all seriousness, what would be the process of doing this?  Has this
>> been done for any other QGIS features?  Who would be paid? OSG, specific
>> developers?  Who would we talk to about something like this?
>
> yes - absolutely - it has been done before. Maybe 2/3 of the recent new
> features were introduced because of paid development, and there has been
> some co-financed and/or crowd-funded development efforts.

What's the process for going about this?  Let's say I want to start a
crowd funding campaign or fund a specific project.  Would I contact the
PSC and hash out the feasibility and funding requirements?

Jim