[Qgis-user] Lidar

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Thu Jun 25 17:38:55 PDT 2015

Hi,

There are a number of open source tool to work with Lidar with or outside of QGIS.

Lastools has some open source tools. Read the licence file to figure out what is open source and what is not.  If it for professional work, lastools are very fast so you might save money if you buy it.

Saga has some Lidar libraries, viewers and so does Grass. You can also use the gdal_grid to do a DEM using the nearest neighbor algorithm and a 3 or 4 m radius.  (Use csv file with a vrt file).  Stay away from shp.

You can then fill in the no data value with gd. If gdal is slow, I have recompiled it on windows 64 to make it much faster (but you will need memory). I can send it to you. You can also try the gdal dev 2.1. That has been modified for extra speed but I need to test it.

To manipulate data, you can use vim for text file up to 2 or 3 GB. If your file are bigger, it is better to use python directly.

There is also cloud compare, Fusion, Mcc-lidar library.  Also have a look at this.

http://applied-geosolutions.github.io/lidar2dems/

And www.idaholidar.org/tools/free

Email me if you need help.

Nicolas Cadieux M.Sc.
Les Entreprises Archéotec inc.
8548, rue Saint-Denis Montréal H2P 2H2
Téléphone: 514.381.5112  Fax: 514.381.4995
www.archeotec.ca