[Qgis-user] A short guide on producing a multi layered pdf from Qgis

magerlin MAP at ramboll.dk
Fri Mar 13 09:46:34 PDT 2015

Hi - this is just an initial short description on how to produce a multi
layered pdf from Qgis. I am still playin around with it!

>From the composer save your map as SVG and tick the option "Export map
layers as svg groups" when you have pressed save.

Download the Scribus open source desktop publishing software ( Scribus
Download <http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Download>  ) and open the svg
produced in map composer.

The file will have no layers but map items are grouped reasonably layerwise.

Click F6 or use "Window->layers" to open the layers window. Add say 10 empty
layers.

As a start everything is grouped in one big group so you have to ungroup by
right clicking and choose ungroup.

It can be a little tricky to see what you have been clicking on so right
click and choose "Send to layers" and choose one of the created empty
layers. By now turning this layer on and off you can see what was selected
and perhaps you like to ungroup something further on. If satisfied rename
the layer to something meaningful. Turn off this layer, go back to the
Background Layer and repeat this process until all groups have got a layer
assigned.

Now press the pdf icon in the Scribus menu bar. Choose "PDF 1.5 (Acrobat 6)"
as version and tick the "Include Layers" mark. Save and now you've got a pdf
like this:

Layered_PDF_from_Qgis.pdf
<http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/file/n5193279/Layered_PDF_from_Qgis.pdf>
(turn on the Layers Pane in Acrobat Reader to see and controll the
layering). It is just a quick map made from OSM data - I can highly
recommend the "Quick OSM" plugin for Qgis!

I am having problems with maps using WMS - by some reason when opening the
svg in Scribus the tiles from the WMS gets missaligned. One tile is right
but the others are moved right and/or down outside the page. The svg look
allright in Inkscape so I guess it is not a Qgis issue? Anybody got a clue?

It is still quite a manual task and an automatic solution directly from Qgis
would be lovely. I think a layered pdf  is a very handy way to present you
maps to non-gis people. Everybody knows a pdf!

Nice weekend to everybody!

-----
Regards Morten

Currently using Qgis 2.6.1 (OSGeo4),