[Qgis-user] ECW on Ubuntu

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed Nov 4 01:54:15 PST 2015

On 03-11-15 16:08, Carlos Cerdán wrote:
> Hi list:
>
> What about ecw support for QGIS 2.12 on Ubuntu?
>
> Looking for it I've found that it's not (yet) supported (
> http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/158724/is-it-possible-to-import-ecw-images-into-qgis-2-10-for-ubuntu
> )
>
> Any advice to get ecw reading on 2.12 on Ubuntu?

Hi Carlos,

you have to get hold of a GDAL library which has ecw support compiled in
it. The ecw lib is closed source and GDAL may not be made available as
binary with it. So compile yourself, and as soon as GDAL is able to read
ecw (only read is supported) then QGIS is able to read.

Some years ago I have been able to do this with the following link:

https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-user/2011-July/012724.html

(you have to google for the ecw libs though)
I have not yet been able to compile with newer ecw version.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde