[Qgis-user] columns in spatialite

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Thu Nov 12 10:17:15 PST 2015

Am 12.11.2015, 17:49 Uhr, schrieb Andrea Peri <aperi2007 at gmail.com>:

> You need study better the spatialite formats.
> :)
>
> Also the shapefile format and also the geopackage format.
> So you will be able to understand why spatialite is 4mb and other not.
>
> :))
>
> A.

Well, this time I didn't refer to the difference between GeoPackage and
SpatiaLite, but between what is called "spatialite" and "sqlite" in the
Save as .. dialog in QGIS.

The sqlite files are really small. For normal work where people do not
need to set up views or whatever db internal stuff,  but just want to get
intermediate results while working with data, and have long column names
and unrestricted field lengths, those sqlite files seem to be so much
better usable than standard ESRI shapes.

So again, what would be the caveats using this small sqlite stuff as
default? (Besides the column resorting/renaming stuff for which
workarounds/fixes see to be available)?

Cheers
Bernd

--